In the hot summer of 1868, after a
Methodist revival meeting in Danville, a group of Putnam
County residents were so inspired that they began building a
church in their own area.
The Methodist circuit-riders of the
day were legendary in their preaching and the believers, 20
miles or so from the Indiana Asbury University,
a Methodist college (now DePauw) were faithful and
committed to provide a place for them to preach the Gospel.
In the winter of 1869, the faithful gathered for their first
Christmas Eve. We are taking the opportunity to return
to that time of inspiration and faith in a historical
re-creation of an 1869 candlelight service.